Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Secret Lives of State House Wives...

I don't think that a public person's private life is any of our business except in these extenuating circumstances: public goods kleptomania, pedophilia (and any other kind of abuse of minors/the vulnerable), illegal activities (not "immoral". illegal. we are a secular state) and addiction that compromises their work. Everything else is good for gossip over a sundowner and not much else.

But a few weeks ago, JetSetter sent me this intriguing link. And then, this week it looks like Delilah cut Samson's hair. First ladies, eh? I find it a strange, in-between kind of role. Spouse, state house accessory, social asset, unpaid public servant, fashion-plate, national SuperMommy, defender of needy wimmin' and chilluns' (naturally). I remember when Salma Kikwete first ascended to the podium and re-arranged our understanding of a Tanzanian First Lady's capabilities. It took a little time for us to embrace, and I will be the first to admit that I'm a bit uncertain about the whole gig. I think we should make First Spouse an official role complete with duties, budget and income for transparency purposes. But the government really is too big already.

But seriously. Mugabe has a heart that can be broken? Why didn't the woman just do it right and cause a heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No biting, spitting, trolling or ugly insults- only pretty ones allowed.

A little birdie told me...

Follow MikocheniReport on Twitter