Monday, May 9, 2011

The King's Diary: Crusading Against Corruption

And now... a note from His Handsome Highness who I am sure you've been missing as much as I have.

Dear Me:

I’ve had little time to write over the past few weeks: reorganizing the TKP leadership required all my attention. That is behind me now. I believe I have successfully used the fight against corruption to strengthen my grip on the party and to rid the TKP leadership of some of its more problematic members.

Could I use the fight against corruption to consolidate my power over the lower rank and file of the TKP as well? It is an attractive proposition. Could it work? Citizens seem to be getting sick and tired of never ending tales of embezzlement. If I were to be seen as fighting corruption, I could definitely regain some of my popularity. Moreover I could get rid of some lower level administrators who block progress by eating and creating nothing but unhappy citizens.

Corruption by TKP rank and file is perfectly acceptable. It is necessary even to assure their loyalty. But if the TKP is no longer seen as working for the people, its legitimacy is at stake. At present too many officials in the Kingdom appear to believe it is sufficient to be loyal to the TKP and to do nothing more. My friends from the Empire of the East tell me that this is an unsustainable situation that breeds unrest and opposition.

In the Empire they have perfected an approach that demands loyalty and performance from their cadres. Only those who deliver are allowed to steal. I like their approach but could it work in the Kingdom? Do I know who delivers and who does not?

Maybe I should change the question. Do I need to know? By setting a few strong examples I could change the behavior of many, especially when those who are not mentioned believe they may be next.

The other day, I received a report from the energy and water regulator with information about the performance of urban water utilities. Why not make a start and use this information? I could create a ranking and publish it with great fanfare. I could then promote the managers of utilities that come out on top and fire the ones at the bottom. Or better, I could make sure that the non-performers are accused of corruption! Hmmm … I may be onto something here

Performance ranking of urban water utilities

Ranking

(from worst to best)

Urban water utility

Percent of water that was produced for which no revenue was received

Average hour of daily Service(hrs)

20

DAWASCO

56.7

9

19

Kigoma

51.6

7

18

Dodoma

44.3

20

17

Mwanza

44.2

22

16

Lindi

44.0

6

15

Bukoba

43.8

23

14

Iringa

42.0

22

13

Musoma

40.5

22

12

Sumbawanga

40.2

16

11

Songea

39.8

24

10

Shinyanga

36.4

15

9

Babati

35.1

12

8

Singida

34.1

5

7

Moshi

32.5

23

6

Mbeya

30.0

23

5

Mtwara

27.4

10

4

Tabora

26.7

20

3

Arusha

26.3

18

2

Tanga

24.6

24

1

Morogoro

24.1

19


No comments:

Post a Comment

No biting, spitting, trolling or ugly insults- only pretty ones allowed.

A little birdie told me...

Follow MikocheniReport on Twitter